On the 7th of February the walking group went on a tour of Maryhill Burgh Halls.
We took the bus up to Maryhill and were given a guided tour by a lady named Christine.
We went through the new build section of the building that houses a cafe and small exhibition space into the original hall, a reasonable sized room that when built could hold 1000 people! It was hard to imagine more than a couple of hundred fitting it, fortunately they have a photo from the early 1900’s of around 800 men all seated at a dinner just to show that it was possible.
We were then taken up to the roof area, where the new build has created a floor where the original decorative beams have been preserved. The hall opened in the 1870’s was taken over by The Maryhill Burgh Trust in the 2000’s and has been renovated and saved from dereliction. They have preserved 11 original stained glass windows, which are on display in the main hall, as well as other artefacts in the new section of the building.
The gates were designed by Andy Scott, who did the Kelpies, and are based on the firefighters who worked the area in the 18 and 1900’s.
After our tour it had started to snow so we split and some of us walked along the canal and others returned back to the city to head home.